Monday, April 26, 2010

The Latest Batch of DNF's

Sometimes I just cannot finish a book.  As you know, I don't review books that I don't finish.  I can't live without whining about them just little, though.



The Pendragon Legend by Antal Szerb

I tried to read this during the Readthon, but it was just soooo slow to get going.  In fact, I don't think it ever did get going!  There didn't seem to be a clear direction that the novel was moving in, not to mention that it seemed very predictable.  By the time I hit the fifty page mark (which took like four hours), I just did not care.  Since fifty pages was about 1/4th of the way through the book, this wasn't good.



Angelology by Danielle Trussoni

This has been described by at least two book bloggers that I greatly respect (and usually agree with) as one of the best books of the year, and I'm really sorry I can't echo that sentiment.  But for me this is the type of book that would actually make me hate reading.  Yes, I honestly disliked it that much.  The beginning was INSANELY slow, and the writing style makes me think of that line from Bloodfever where Mac asks Barrons, "What, is English your third language?"  Totally unnecessary big words.  And no chapters.  While I liked that the art historian was poor, I couldn't connect to any of the characters because of the constant head-jumping.

the man who loved p&P

The Man Who Loved Pride & Prejudice by Abigail Reynolds

This book just didn't do it for me.  It was super-derivative, even going so far as to begin with a dance where Calder (the Darcy substitute--which would be a great title for an Austen adaptation, now that I think of it) refuses to dance with Cassie, the lame Lizzie fill-in; and Cassie's pretty and kind friend hooks up with the good-natured rich guy who's Calder's bestie.  This wouldn't have bothered me too much if it was the high school prom, but apparently it was some country dance populated with scientists?  Like... wtf?  Anyway, the science part was either insanely boring or preachy, and the Austen take was simply unimaginative--and with very creative Austen adaptations like Beth Pattillo's Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart out there, I simply don't think this book can compete.



Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...