Thursday, June 23, 2011

Listed: The Gothic Reader

catherine morland reading

A few weeks ago, Anastasia from Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog posted a review of Rebecca where she lamented the fact that she couldn't get into Gothic romance. Admittedly, the tropes of Gothic romance can be pretty tiresome--the young ingenue unsure of her suitor's love and of herself, etc.--but I think... no, I know that done right, Gothic romance can be fantastically awesome! So I started to think of books that might lure Anastasia into admitting Gothic romances have their merits. I don't think they're what she would expect!

  • Lord of Fire by Gaelen Foley--Innocent Alice Montague travels to Lord Lucien Knight's estate--I forget why--and finds herself embroiled in a Hellfire-type Club with a whole bunch of sexxxoring going on. Shocking! Then she stays for a while and Lucien broods. There are atmospheric trees and cliff faces. Win!
  • The Scarletti Curse by Christine Feehan--It takes place in Italy. Don Scarletti is drawn to the village healer, but ruh-roh, there's a curse upon the Scarletti men! That involves the women they love dying! I think they turn into something, I'm not sure.
  • Wings of the Falcon by Barbara Michaels--Michaels wrote a heck ton of Gothic Romances back in the '80s. Wings is one of my favorites. It takes place in Italy and is about a young English woman who moves there and becomes fascinated with the mysterious figure of The Falcon. Fun!
  • The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart--Stewart is another person who's written a load of Gothic romances. In this one, a mysterious woman shows up claiming to be a billionaire's long-lost daughter and heir to his fortune. But is she really? Or is she just an imposter out for the old man's money? Great story telling!
  • Nevermore by Kelly Creagh--Definitely one of my favorite recent reads! Varen, a broody goth, and Isabelle, a perfect blonde cheerleader, are partnered together on an English assignment. A great Gothic atmosphere and lots of chemistry between the two main characters makes this one of the best Gothics I've encountered recently.
  • Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen--This is one of my favorite Austen novels. I just love Mr. Tilney! Anyway, Catherine Morland, the heroine, loves Gothic romances, but her life conspires to keep her away from anything interesting and salacious until she meets someone who own a properly crumbling abbey.
Do you read Gothic romances? What favorite Gothic roms have I missed?



Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...