Monday, July 6, 2015

20 Bookish Questions

I saw this meme at It's All About Books and thought it looked fun. Feel free to swipe the questions if you want!

1. Favorite childhood book?


childhood favorites


I guess that depends on how you define "childhood." When I was little–like, before I could read on my own–I was obsessed with The Alligator's Song. The Ghost Wore Gray is the first book I can remember loving. Before that, I just kind of consumed books without thinking about whether they were "good" or not. And The Vampire Diaries was probably the book I was most obsessed with before I hit the teen years. OH THE TEEN YEARS. We shall not speak of them.

2. What are you reading right now?

currently reading


The English Spy by Daniel Silva, Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica, and The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas

3. What books do you have on request at the library?

on hold


Wouldn't It Be Deadly by DE Ireland, Alex + Ada, Vol. 3 by Jonathan Luna, Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix, Jerusalem by Guy Delisle, Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari, and The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

4. Bad book habit?

I guess skipping to the end of chapters and books to see what happens? And buying cheap ebooks just because they're on sale.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?


currently checked out

Lots! Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick, The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion, Alex + Ada, Vol 2 by Jonathan Luna, Just Like the Movies by Kelly Fiore, Rain by Amanda Sun, The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain, The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell, What Did You Eat Yesterday? Vol 2 by Fumi Yoshinaga, Books That Cook, Greenglass House by Kate Milford, Ooku Vol 1 by Fumi Yoshinaga, and The Perfect Couple by Jennifer Echols.

6. Do you have an e-reader?

Yes, and I love it.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?

I generally have one audiobook, one novel, and one non-fiction book going at a time.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?

Yes, in too many ways to count. Different genres, different times of day I read, less patience, interacting more with other readers, etc.

9. Least favorite book you read this year?

Haha, welllll that's kind of difficult to narrow down. Of the ones I actually finished, probably The Gold Bag by Carolyn Wells.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?

northanger abbey


Northanger Abbey. Mr Tilney!

11. How often do you read outside of your comfort zone?

Not very often. Sometimes I'm forced to.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?

Ha! I'd say most fiction genres: romance, mystery, sci-fi/fantasy, spy thrillers. Classics, particularly from the early 20th Century. Very specific genres of graphic novels and manga. And non-fiction books about art, food, and history.

13. Can you read on the bus?

Yes, I can read on the bus. I can read on a plane, I can read on a train, I can read on a boat as long as it floats. I can read sitting backwards, sideways, and hanging upside down. I can read all around the town.

14. Favorite place to read?

Outside, in the sun, in one of those lounge chairs. Preferably accompanied by sunglasses, cute animals, and adult beverages.

15. What is your policy on book lending?

I only lend books if I don't care if they come back or not. Exceptions for my mom and brother, since they're pretty easy to track down.

16. Do you dog-ear your books?

I used to! I stopped doing that years ago, though, I'm not sure why. Now I always use bookmarks.

17. Do you write notes on the margins of your books?

Yes, I love marginalia, although I don't do it very often in novels. In non-fiction books anything goes.

18. Do you break/crack the spines?

Yes. Actually, I LOVE breaking the spines of books. There's just something so satisfying about bending a book backwards and feeling the spine pop and hearing that crrrack! I also get kind of OCD about when I break spines–like, for mass market paperbacks I do it every 50 pages. For hardcovers every 100-150 pages, depending on how long the book is. Trade paperbacks usually have spines that are difficult crack, perhaps one of the reasons I don't enjoy reading them so much.

19. What is your favorite language to read?

Latvian, obviously.

20. What makes you love a book?

A pretty cover. I kid, I kid. I think if a book has a great story that sucks you in and sympathetic characters that feel like your friends, you can't help but love it! If you find a specific, surefire formula for such a book, please share it with me.





Discus this post with me on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+ or in the comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...