Sunday, August 2, 2015

Sunday Snapshot: Everything's Coming Up August


Calypso hurt her paw this week and it's really pathetic. Even more pathetic than when Thor hurt his paw, and I didn't think that was possible.

Currently reading:

A Wish Upon Jasmine by Laura Florand: You know what I wish? That Florand would find an editor who would ask WHY do we need this scene AGAIN, and WHY do we need so much damn internal monologuing.

The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle: Apparently I read this book before. I remember nothing.

Movies watched:

mr holmes
Mr. Holmes, starring Ian McKellen and Laura Linney

Proposed alternate title: Sherlock Holmes and the Adventure of the Ungrieved-For Dead

This movie was kind of all over the place. First you had post-WWII Holmes dealing with mental degeneration (always a cheerful topic), then you had his trip to Japan to get a cure that ultimately doesn't work, and then there was the story of his very last mystery. I liked the mystery part, but the rest was slow going. There was a whole theme of grief and guilt, presumably over WWII, that I personally didn't feel was best explored in a Sherlock Holmes story. I'd wait until this one is streaming on Netflix to watch it.

Subscription boxes:

le tote box


I got my second Le Tote this week and my opinion of this service continues to improve. I love the t-shirts and the jewelry. The butterfly sleeve dress doesn't really flatter me, but since I'm renting this stuff, it doesn't matter! Also love that I don't need to wash any of it and can just send it back. Can't wait to get my third box.

wantable box


I also received my second Wantable box. The pajamas are very cute–I absolutely adore the dark blue cami. The bra didn't work for me at all, but the return was quick and easy and return shipping was free. Still really enjoying this service!

Theme of the week:

We had family staying from out town this week, so it was busy! I hardly spent any time reading or online. What time I did spend was devoted to attempting to wrangle the approximately bazillion things everyone wants to do in Ireland into an itinerary that isn't guaranteed to wear us all down to tiny not-having-any-fun shells of human beings. I'm just really happy the last two days we'll be in Dublin and won't have to drive anywhere.

Bonus:

My aunt likes to drink sangria, so I decided to make her some for her visit. I found this recipe online that is RIDICULOUSly simple and turned out amazing. My aunt loved it!

Ingredients:

  • 1 bottle of red wine (I used a cheap blend, but the website recommended a Grenache, Merlot, or Tempranillo)
  • 1 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
  • 2 limes, thinly sliced (or you can just juice them to cut down on pulp)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brandy (optional)


Directions:
In a large pitcher, muddle the lime slices with the sugar and brandy until the sugar's dissolved and the limes are juiced. Add the grapefruit juice and wine, stir. Set in the fridge to chill. Serve over ice.


Have a good week!




Discus this post with me on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+ or in the comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...